Sunday, July 18, 2010

Breaking the beginner's barrier.

Most beginners spin thick heavy yarns. We are proud of them, they have texture and character, and, like a mother, we love all our yarns. Accomplished spinners with a few years under their belts, spin thin yarns and when they want a thicker yarn, they tend to ply a few singles together. When I proudly show my thick yarns, they all tell of a time in my future when I will spin fine, thin yarns and lose the ability to spin thick. Apparently I will yearn for those good ol' days when all my yarns were thick. I don't know how long it takes spinners to break that beginner's barrier but it took me 53 weeks. That is one week after being told my yarn lacks integrity. A week in which I concentrated on spinning thin and consistent yarn. Yarn with integrity. Using a spindle, so that I could go slowly and carefully watching my drafting triangle in order to draw out the same amount of fibre with each draft, I broke the beginners barrier. I took a picture of the occasion. Here it is.
Harrumph. "About bloody time." So sayeth Priscilla.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Liz, that is some thin yarn, and such integrity!! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete